Thursday, July 23, 2009

Homesick

My oldest daughter (8) has been at Camp o'The Pines for 4 days now. It's a Christian camp funded and maintained by Pensacola's Christian College. The grounds far exceeded my expectations when we dropped her off and I cannot wait to hear how her experience went. I almost called on Monday to find out how she was doing, but I resisted the impulse.

I expected home-life to be more difficult with her gone, being that she's the oldest and most helpful, so I've been pleasantly surprised that in fact it's been easier. I'm not sure what element she adds, but the house has been quieter and I've not heard, "What are we doing today?" all week! Of course I miss her and think about her constantly, but the other kids have gotten along better and have been entertaining themselves, so I'm not exactly pining away that she's gone (which makes me feel a little guilty).

Yesterday I received a call from the camp nurse who told me that Shaylah developed a rash on one side of her neck, which had spread to the other side and now down her neck. She was calling to get permission to administer Benadryl because Shaylah was complaining that it was itching. I heard what sounded like crying in the background.

"Is she crying?" I asked.

"Well, she's been fine, but I think the itching is driving her crazy," the nurse responded with a laugh.

"Can I talk to her?" I held my breath. The unexpected possibility swamped me with emotion.

"Sure!"

"Mommy? I want to come hooooome," Shaylah's sobbing voice poured into the phone.

Uh-oh, I didn't expect that. "Aren't you having a good time and making friends?"

"Yes, {sob} but I miss you." The crying broke out deeper, as though a dam had broken.

I couldn't help but grin. She missed me!! Somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind I had a small fear of going to pick her up and being told, "No, I want to stay here. It's more fun than at home." It's a legitimate fear, since I'm always told by her that there's nothing to do and that she's bored. But now, alas, doth my ears deceive me?? She misses me??

Keeping my voice brimming with excitement, I poured out all the right questions: Have you gone down the water slides yet? How many times? Even the tube one? No way! We're you scared? Have you made a lot of friends? I cannot wait to hear all about it! You only have 2 days left so make sure you enjoy every minute of it!

By the time we got off the phone, we both felt better. I knew that she was probably a bit homesick, but that her crying spell was born more out of the equation: not feeling good + hearing moms voice. Have you ever held yourself together until you see a certain friend or relative and then you completely fall apart? Like keeping the bravest face possible until you see the person you can crumble in front of? I've done it and sensed that was part of the emotion behind the sobbing and "Come take me home!"

Tomorrow night we go pick her up and I am so excited to hear all about her new friends, new games and experiences. I think I'm most excited to hug her, though, and see her happy.

https://www.campopines.com/script/default.html

1 comment:

  1. Awww... I think the sound of Mommy's voice in a moment like that would bring ANYONE to tears!!! Were you able to "hold it together" on the other end?!?! I would've been silently tearing up and trying not to let mine sense my tears! We have yet to experience a sleep-away camp like that, although I'm sure our day will come! So glad to hear, that despite the rash, she seems to be having a GREAT time!!!

    ReplyDelete